More toys: Razberry & sensors!

Having a "Raspberry Pi" as a DHCP server is of course not my end goal. There are plenty of ideas I have about what it could do... Home automation is one of them.
So finally, after a long time hesitating between various extensions, devices and technologies, I finally ordered some new fancy toys:

  • First of all, a Z-Wave extension board for the Pi: the "Razberry" from Z-Wave.me. Unfortunately expensive (but well, a USB dongle is also too), but quite a nice little extension board.
  • A set of Z-Wave sensors; as security was my wife first concern and my budget limited, I bought three door/window contact detectors (SM103 from Everpring).

Z-Wave seems to be definitively an expensive choice compared to ZigBee, but well, at least I found easily some devices, and guess what, so far it works out-of the box!

 So now, time to look at APIs and see how to get further... As a start, I would like to be able to control things from my phone and be able to get notified when something happens. I already got the skeleton applications for the client (for now, a basic Android application) and server parts (a C/C++ daemon based on the GNU libmicrohttpd. Now the fun begins...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZWay: getting the device list.

First steps with the ZWay library

Libcurl: perform a REST HTTP PUT