More configuration on the Pi

Since my last post, although my [fun][geek] evening time was limited, I managed to fix a few issues on my home network, thanks to my Raspberry Pi.
First, I made it reachable from the Internet. Nothing difficult there: I already had this setup for my "old" Dell Linux machine. Just a matter of:

  1. Assigning a fixed local IP address to the RPI.
  2. Configuring a NAT rule on the Internet gateway that maps an external port (e.g. 12345) to the SSH daemon port on the RPI (port 22).
  3. Having a small client that registers the Internet gateway external IP address to a free dynamic  DNS service. For that I installed and configured "ddclient" with an account from DynDNS.


Cool... How geek, now I can remotely connect to my home network from the Internet. Well, this is needed for later: I want it to be the center and the entry to my home network. Home-automation, security here we go!

Since my [fabulous] Internet gateway still refuses to persist DHCP static lease bindings, I decided to turn off its DHCP server and let the Raspberry Pi be the new DHCP server of the network. That way, it controls which device gets which IP address... Again, very simple, I just had to follow the steps described here. All IP addresses are defined in the "/etc/hosts" files and the "/etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf" contains only the hostnames.

Alright I am set. Now my next target is to develop a simple light-weight application to handle HTTP REST calls; this little server would run on the RPI and provide the means for initiating actions or fetching information from my home...
Time to go back to the C world (and hopefully to C++ too)... I don't feel like learning Python or using Java. And I think I found what I need: GNU libmicrohttpd!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ZWay: getting the device list.

First steps with the ZWay library

Libcurl: perform a REST HTTP PUT